Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Honey, I'm Pregnant!


Yesterday I played one of the best jokes on my husband. So, as many of you probably know I want a baby... but I don't. It is a bi-polar crisis in our family right now. Steve is content to not have one until I am finished with school and we have some things lined up in life. I have decided that I support this decision. Being at the end of nursing school means that 1/4 of my class has decided to get prego! I am so happy for them. With that come positive pregnancy tests. So this was the joke. I decided yesterday that as an April Fools joke I was going to tell Steve I was pregnant. First of all I am a horrible liar and so I would like you to appreciate how well I did at this. So, I had my dear friend E. give me a sample of her positive prego urine. (it is not that gross if you are in nursing school). I drove straight to All-A-Dollar to pick up a pregnancy test. I got three, this is because last time I found out I was pregnant I took about 7 tests just to make sure. So I had to have at least 3 for Steve to believe me. Anyways, there I sat in the parking lot with my gf urine between my legs in a Wendy's cup taking the pregnancy test. I am not going to lie, it was quite exciting to see the 2 pink lines on all three tests. Even if I knew they weren't mine. After the test were taken I put on my best actress face and decided there was no turning back. I drove to Steve's work and had my story all ready to go. It went perfect! It hit him like a train and I was such a great actress! He was shocked, didn't know what to say. I had my story all planned out on how I had to take a test before I could start birth control and that is when it came up positive. There was this insane awkward silence. He even asked me if this was real and not one of my friends. (I lied) I felt nauseous and like crying, mainly because I just knew I was going to get caught. Then I got all teary eyed because I knew he wasn't excited at all. I started to think, what if this is what it is really like when I am really prego. I was crushed! This whole joke had backfired on me and now I felt bad too! He walked me to my car still in a daze, kissed me on my forehead, and told me he would see me later. It was all I could do to not tell him right there that it was a joke. But I was able to keep it in. We ate dinner in silence, we watch AI in silence and I knew it was because his brain was going a million miles a minute trying to figure out what we were going to do. If any of you know Steve, finances were the number one thing he was worried about. I just couldn't take it any longer. I had made a comment about needing to loose weight and he told me that would have to wait because I would need to gain weight to have a healthy baby. Then he said the thing that crushed me. He said," Well this will be good for Kinley to have a sibling." Knife in my heart! I knew this had gone too far! He was okay with having a baby and now I had to tell him it was all a joke. Originally I had planned to tell him on April Fools morning before I went to bed and he went to work. But I just couldn't make him suffer all night. I sat on his lap, gave him a kiss on the cheek and whispered in his ear, "I'm not pregnant. It was just an April Fools joke. I'm sorry..." I was afraid he was going to be so mad. Instead he started to laugh and told me in a loving way that he hated me and that was a good one! I had totally got him! He told me all the worries that he had been thinking about since I told him earlier that day. Man does this little boy plan for everything! We laughed some more, I said I was sorry a billion times for it going too far. Then I told him my worry about next time. He said if the pregnancy was planned he would be super excited. But a surprise was not what he wanted again. So the dilemma I am now having is that after lying about being pregnant for about 7 hours and realizing that Steve was okay with it after the initial shock... I may want a baby! I do, but I don't... back to bi-polar baby feelings. I love my husband and I am glad that he still loves me after that mean trick! It was the best April Fools joke ever, although I think it affected me more than I would have liked.
Oh and to answer the question on why I did it yesterday, it was so that my smart husband wouldn't think it was an April Fools joke.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Well Lyss, all I can say is that you are lucky your husband loves you so much. I bet he was so shocked, then relieved. It would be good for Kinners though. I don't think I would have ever dared do that as a joke, even for April Fool's. But you have always been much braver than I.

The Oman Family said...

I can totally see Stephen's reaction. That was a great one!

Aubrey said...

That was a good one Lyss!! Crazy girl!!

E and J said...

Someone may just see the title and think you are! LOL. Still love it!

Wurtz Gang said...

You Rock!!! All I have to say is that you have an amazing husband!

HayLee said...

hahaha. that is funny. Way to go! Soon enough though lyss it will be time for both of you to have another.